Apps, Websites, and Development
Types of Projects
The academic technology team can collaborate with the Barnard community on a variety of digital projects. Because our mission is to support the academic needs of the college, projects should have a direct connection to the curriculum, co-curricular initiatives, or academic research. Project types include:
- Apps: We can work with faculty and staff to understand if their project would be a good fit for an app. In some cases, we can provide hands-on support in developing apps.
- Websites: We can provide hosting services and basic maintenance support for web projects. Depending on the project, we may also be able to provide design and/or development support. Note: we do not provide web support for personal or portfolio websites.
- Data Engineering/Machine Learning: We can help with data collection, building data pipelines, cleaning, and normalization. Additionally, we support building machine learning models with Python.
- UX & Accessibility Reviews: We can evaluate your website, app, or other digital project for usability and accessibility, and give you actionable feedback on changes you may want to consider.
- Tech Workshops: We can teach workshops on a variety of different technology tools, programming languages, and digital best practices. Examples of previous workshop topics include: HTML & CSS, Python, WordPress, Digital Prototyping, Omeka, and Digital Accessibility.
Ways We Collaborate
Our collaborations usually take one of two forms:
Project Consultations: We can always meet with Barnard community members to discuss innovative ways to use technology as a tool to support teaching, learning, and scholarship.
- Hands-On Support: For projects that directly relate to an academic course or a research project, we can often offer hands-on technology support, such as building an app, website or machine learning model.
No matter what you’re working on, the first step in collaborating with us is to have a consultation with a technologist, where we will:
- Learn about your goals and ideas
- Discuss how technology can be used to help you achieve your goals
- When applicable, talk about areas where we can provide hands-on support